Creating a user for a service account
- Sign in to Office 365 using your credentials.
- Navigate to the Office 365 Admin center by clicking the app launcher icon (9 small squares) in the top left and click Admin.
- On the left click Users, then click Active users.
- Towards the top of the page, click + Add a user.
- Populate the necessary fields and make sure to uncheck the box for Make this user change their password when they first sign in.
Setting up a service account
- Navigate to https://outlook.office365.com/ecp/
- Log in using your Office 365 credentials and you will be taken to the Exchange Admin Center.
- Click Permissions, then click admin roles.
- Click the plus sign above the table to create a new Role group.
- In the new role group pop up, type in a name in the Name field.
- Under the Roles section, click the plus sign .
- Select ApplicationImpersonation from the list below DISPLAY NAME, click add ->, then click ok.
- Under the Members section, click the plus sign .
- Select the user that you created initially as a service account to use with Exchange Sync.
- Click add -> and then click ok.
You now have a service account that will impersonate other user's mailboxes that your Administrator can configure with Exchange Sync.